10 Steps to prepare your home before selling
With today’s inventory of homes on the market, homebuyers are being very picky. They are looking for the best of the best and are willing to wait for the perfect home, so a home for sale can easily slip through the cracks if it doesn’t sparkle and shine when they come to see it. Use these TEN tips to get your home into shape and wow potential buyers.
- Be sure to clean the gutters and pressure wash your home’s siding. A sloppy exterior will make buyers think you’ve slacked off on interior maintenance as well.
- Make sure the front door is inviting. Paint it if needed and replace any outdated exterior lighting fixtures. As their agent is unlocking the door, the buyer are looking around and already judging your home.
- Eliminate half of your belongings – clutter can cost you a sale. Buyers want to envision their belongings in your home. Clean up by renting a storage unit for knickknacks, photos, extra furniture and other personal items.
- Organize all closets and drawers. Buyers might look there and messy or crammed closets give the appearance that your home doesn’t have enough storage space.
- Make any necessary repairs. You want your home to be in the best condition possible so that buyers don’t have to add that to their mental list of post-purchase expenses or feel like the home needs too much work for them.
- Rearrange furniture to make rooms appear as large as possible.
- Make every surface shine, from ceiling fans to baseboards. Don’t forget interior windows, mirrors and floors.
- Scrub every inch of your home. From ceiling fans to floors and everything in between, clean your home until it sparkles.
- Depersonalize each room, removing photo frames and posters or artwork.
- Eliminate bad odors by hiding the litter box and spray air neutralizer throughout your home. When showing the home, fill it with inviting smells by putting out fresh flowers and baking a batch of cookies.
John became a top real estate agent by using systems and setting goals. He has developed his business into a successful real estate machine. With his knowledge of technology in real estate and his patience and understanding of daily real estate issues, John is using that knowledge to provide excellent service and a high level of value to his customers and clients.